CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 28, 2013

LBL smoked fish cakes

Oh man.
I get ideas from watching food tv...Lately, when J works late I have been watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives...and one place in Maine made fish cakes in a way I had never heard of. With potatoes and salted fish...then they deep fried them...they looked amazing.
My dad catches fresh fish up north where he lives and he and his friends smoke it up sometimes...and it is drop dead fresh and insanely delicious. I love it but there is only so much smoked fish you can have, and J is really not a fish fan, so I usually just nibble away at it...and I got to thinking that I still had half a fillet of smokey deliciousness in my freezer on the way home today...and I decided to Saskatchewanify a US classic in a healthy way: smoked lake fish potato cakes.
So, I boiled up a large potato and once it was soft I fork mashed up the potato with a glug of milk. Then I added about 1/2 t of crushed garlic, pepper, dill and a bit of salt. Then I flaked up the fish  (~1/4c flaked) and added it in and mixed it all up with my hands and added half a beat egg and 2 T bread crumbs to hold it all together.
Then I made the smush into 2 small patties and dipped them in the remaining half egg and coated them with about 1/4 c more bread crumbs and popped them onto a hot nonstick pan with a spray of Pam just to crisp them up on both sides. I could have baked them to crisp them up better....but it was late and I was starving. :)


I nommed them up with some steamed beetroot and carrots and a bit of fresh tartar sauce I whipped up and...oh...MAN. These are delicious...off the hook with flavour. They are so simple...but the smoked fish just filled it with flavour without overpowering things. I am in love.
I definitely need to make these for my dad the next time I am up visiting!

0 comments: